Photography is a great hobby and an interesting one as well. Although there are some people who just have that eye for a great photograph, you can however learn some techniques and tips in photography and eventually develop your skill in taking impressive photos.
To help you start with the basics, here are 5 things that you might want to consider in taking great photos.
1. Light. Light is the essential element of good photography, and by knowing how to use it and play with it, you can also learn how to capture dramatic moods in your photos. You have to consider how much light are reflected in the camera and how much shadows you want to appear in your picture to create a dramatic effect. You can determine how much shadows are in your picture by also determining the best angle to take the picture as well. If you love taking pictures of landscape, one of the tips in photography to remember is to take pictures early in the morning or late in the day.
2. Angle. Changing the angle of your photos can mean more dramatic and impressive photos. Ordinary photos are often those that are taken in an angle that you would most likely see if you are right there standing in front of the subject or the place. If you want to take impressive photos, change your angle to more interesting ones. You can shoot from closer to the ground, or you can also shoot from above your subject, or some other angle that is not normally seen.
3. Composition. One of the important tips in photography, and a basic one that every aspiring photographer should master is learning how to compose your photos. Proper composition allows you to convey the message that you intend to convey in your photograph, as it is the composition that will help the viewer grasp the meaning of the photograph. One of the basic rules in composition is the rule of thirds. Although this rule is never a strict one, learning this can be your foundation in taking impressive pictures. You can bend it and still take impressive photos though, but it is still important to learn how to do it so you will also know how far you can deviate from it and still make great compositions.
4. Framing your images is another great technique in taking dramatic photos. Especially if you are shooting a landscape you can make use of foreground images as ‘frames’ for your photo. One of the most common techniques used to frame images is adding an overhang of tree branches, tree trunks, windows or fences.
5. Timing is also an important consideration in taking your photos. Especially if you are taking pictures of events and happenings, it is important that you are able to capture the image right on that very time that the action is happening and that moment that really tells the story of what you want to convey.
Indeed, you can learn how to take better pictures. You can learn them one by one and you will eventually learn how to make better pictures the next time around.